St. Casimir School
259 Nepperhan Avenue, Yonkers, NY 10701
The first mention of a parish school for the Church of St. Casimir was in a brochure published in 1903 containing an appeal from the pastor to the Polish congregation. In passionate words he calls on everyone to work to build a school.
Classes began in 1904 and were taught in Polish. By September, 1906, the pastor inaugurated a regular parochial school in a hall under the church with 58 students. In 1910 the Sisters of the Resurrection came to St. Casimir and commenced their work with two classes comprising of 155 children.
The present rectory, the historic Copcutt Mansion, was purchased in 1911 and moved to its current location to serve as the school and the sisters' home. In 1921 an eight grade school was achieved. It consisted of five grades before then. The first eighth grade graduating class in 1922 had seventeen students.
The current school was built in 1925, has four levels, and is hidden from Nepperhan Avenue by the church. It contains twenty classrooms, a gym/cafeteria, a hall refurbished from a former bowling alley, and a play room at the lowest level on St. Casimir Avenue.
In 1997 the Sisters of the Resurrection, after nearly nine decades of service, were recalled for other assignments. The staff has been comprised of lay people since that time.
St. Casimir School continues to attract Polish-American students along with the children of immigrants from over 20 nations reflecting the diversity of the community.
Today the school educates students in eleven grades from
Pre-Kindergarten 3 to eighth grade.